Tuesday, May 3, 2011

RIP

David Wilkerson died in a car accident on April 27th. My uncle died on April 29th, on the anniversary of the death of my father. RIP Pastor Wilkerson, RIP Uncle Norvin, RIP Dad.

I went to see David Wilkerson speak when I was just a kid. It was awesome, something I'll never forget. I'm not an overly religious person but I have my own personal beliefs. This man was real - not someone just out to make money or put on a show.


The Cross and the Switchblade chronicled Wilkerson's early years in New York City tending to drug addicts and gang members. It sold 15 million copies in 30 languages and was made into a 1970 movie starring Pat Boone (as Wilkerson) and Erik Estrada. I highly recommend the movie to anyone who has never seen it. Although the story may be outdated compared to what goes on now, the story is inspiring - and it is true which makes it even more inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment