Thursday again! Time to do a little "pondering" with Brenda
from Fiction With a Purpose.
Her rules are really easy:
1. Grab the Pondering with a Purpose Badge (in her sidebar)
2. Look at the week's prompt
3. Post something on your blog that relates to the prompt - it can be a
story, a poem, a picture -- anything you want it to be.
4. Go back here and add the URL from your post to the linky list on Brenda's.
5. Go check out the other bloggers who have added their links to the list.
6. AND most of all.... Have fun!
Respect to me means treating people the way you want to be treated. Honoring those that came before us, honoring those who gave their lives for this country, honoring life itself.
I was brought up to pull off the side of the road when a funeral possession went by. My dad said that it was a way of showing respect for the dead. I still do it but some people no longer bother. Why? Are we in such a hurry that we can't pause for a moment out of respect?
Another thing I learned from my dad was to stand at attention when a military convoy passes - like a guard unit on their way to drill. He would stand in the yard at full military attention - and made sure that we, as kids, stood still too. I don't recall seeing many other people do that and definitely not lately.
And what about putting your hand over your heart when the National Anthem plays. It irks me to see people walking around and talking through it.
Bowing your head during a prayer - another thing that annoys me (when people don't).
Respecting your elders - kids that make fun of elderly people, push in front of them, call them names. I have to admit that I sometimes get annoyed while driving or in a store and get behind an elderly person going very slowly. But I try to be patient and give them the room they need.
Plain and simple - respect - something we need more of both as individuals and as a country.

I love that you saluted when a military convoy drove by.. I live across the street from Ft. Mac Arthur so I'm not sure I'd get much else done if I did that all the time ( ;) ) but it is a great idea!
ReplyDeleteAnd we definitely have a theme going about respect to elders today.....
Thank you so much for pondering with me Tami!
Respecting your elders -
ReplyDeleteI am so glad that you mentioned this. Each one of us will be elderly one day if we are lucky. I know that when we are young we think we will never grow old. I am living proof that it happens. ;-)
Your dad was a very wise man who instilled in you the true meaning of respect.
Amen!! I so agree with everything you said in this post! As a teacher, I see lack of respect among many young people every day. This is going to sound like I am ancient, but I really believe that many of our society's current problems come from our total obsession with youth. It seems like we worship youthfulness, and yet we all get old. The wisdom and experience of our wonderful older population is, in many cases, just cast aside and disregarded. Thank your for sharing your thoughts on respect! Enjoy your Thursday!
ReplyDeleteSounds like we were brought up very similarly. Have you noticed, too, that people just don't get out of the way for ambulances or fire trucks, either? That just gets my knickers in a twist! What if the fire truck was on the way to their house?? I stand for the Pledge and national anthem and the veterans in the parade. I respect the right of others to worship as they choose, whether or not I agree with them. And I respect the President because he is the president. I may not agree with his politics, but he is the leader of this country. I may comment on the policies, but I will not slander the man himself. The world could use a LOT more dads like ours. :)
ReplyDelete