Thursday, June 7, 2012

Pondering With a Purpose

Thursday again! Time to do a little "pondering" with Brenda from Fiction With a Purpose.


Her rules are really easy:

1. Grab the Pondering with a Purpose Badge (in her sidebar)
2. Look at the week's prompt
3. Post something on your blog that relates to the prompt - it can be a story, a poem, a picture -- anything you want it to be.
4. Go back here and add the URL from your post to the linky list on Brenda's.
5. Go check out the other bloggers who have added their links to the list.
6. AND most of all.... Have fun!

This Week's prompt:  Favorites

Children and favorites. I can honestly say that I have a favorite daughter and a favorite son. Of course I only have one daughter and one son. Do I have a favorite between them? I don't really think so. They are each so different and each hold a special place in my heart. My daughter is my best friend. I tell here everything - and I mean EVERYTHING. I have always tried to keep no secrets from either of my children. I must admit that there are some things that are easier to talk to a daughter about than a son - but that doesn't mean that she doesn't talk to him about them and I'm ok with that.

My son was always the one there to help me. He would help clean (he's a bit of a neat freak as opposed to his sister who has a bit of trouble putting things away). He would take care of the lawn. He slid into the role of "man of the house" quite easily and did an awesome job. If fact, when he left I was quite overwhelmed.

My daughter had no trouble in school, my son struggled. I spent many nights consoling daughter because she thought she was going to get a B in something - never happened.  My son really didn't care about school. I would get D and F slips every week of my life, tell him he had to do better and he'd just look at me and say that he had it covered, he wasn't going to fail - and he never did. He had this uncanny ability to do what he had to do (and only what he had to do) to get by. His junior year he decided to apply himself and ended up with straight A's - and got the good student discount on his car insurance. He told me that if he had known he'd get that much off his insurance, he would have done it a lot sooner. 


Anyway, they are so different but each so special. I haven't seen my son in almost two years but he is and will always be my "favorite" son. I see my daughter quite a bit and she will always be my "favorite" daughter. I can't choose between them. They each have their special place.

3 comments:

  1. I have 2 daughters and one son. They too are so different although you can tell they come from my side of the family genes as opposed to my husband. I see my younger sister in my oldest daughter, my closest sister in the second daughter and my brother in my son. Scary!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. with 2 daughters and 1 son....it's still impossible to choose, or have a favourite. the things that make them unique and special is what you love most about them. So hopefully, each is loved in a unique and special way that doesn't make anyone else feel "less than."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post and I completely get what your son was all about... Ds and Fs were a way of life in my house.... and that was so hard for me at first because school always came easily to me. I think that my favorite is just being their mother!

    ReplyDelete