Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Hodgepodge

Welcome back to the Wednesday Hodgepodge! Be sure to add your link to the bottom of Joyce's post and then go visit the neighbors. After all, that's part of the fun! 


1. I included this quote (attributed to William H. Danforth) in my blog post yesterday... "The best cure for a sluggish mind is to disturb it's routine." When was the last time you 'disturbed your routine' and how'd you do it? I guess I disturbed my routine last weekend when for some reason I decided to do some deep cleaning around the house. I ended up getting a lot done and felt great about it (although I also felt very tired).

2. What's your favorite fried food indulgence? Fried green tomatoes!

3. Did you have an allowance as a kid? What did you do with it? Do you give your own kids an allowance? No and I didn't really give my kids an allowance either. I did give them a portion of my income taxes every year for them to spend on whatever they wanted.

4. What's something you wish you knew more about? Lots of things! If I had to pick one it would be the Vietnam war - I've been looking into taking a class on it here at the university but the class requires 19 books! Not sure I can afford that - but I think it would be very interesting.

5. Is there anything you feel too old to do anymore? If so, what? I'm not sure if it's because I'm old or if it's because of an old injury, but I can't walk distances anymore without limping before I'm done.

6. What's a song you think has a great first line? Country Roads - Almost Heaven West Virginia, Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River......

7. Who are you writing to/for when you create a blog post? In other words...as you write, who is the audience in your head? Friends - that is what you guys have become to me.

8. Insert your own random thought here. My hair grows really fast. Every couple of years I cut it all off - short - but I've always loved long hair. Right now mine is about two inches from my waist. I kind of want to cut it - but then I don't. How old is too old for long hair? I just turned 53 yesterday. Cut it or keep it?

9 comments:

  1. I didn't think about fried green tomatoes! Those are definitely one of my favorite fried foods.

    Hair grows : ) Maybe don't cut it short, just bring it up say to your shoulders. Or is that short for you? : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hair is so fine and thin that I've only worn it short ... so I don't have much advice about long hair. ;-)

    19 books? Wow! I'm thankful that I got my degree from a University that rented textbooks. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first question... does having your whole world turned upside down to accomodate your child moving back home count? Every moment I have at home when she is there is spent with her... not much 'me' time anymore... but she needs it!

    As far as the hair length and age....I think age has nothing to do with it! It has to do with how you look and feel.
    And again, happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think long hair can keep a person looking youthful. And there's no doubt, men love a woman with long tresses. I say keep it long for as long as you would like. Plus, long hair gives you options that short hair doesn't, like ponytails, braids, hairclips, etc. You can wear it up or down. But what's most important tho, if you like it long...and you don't mind the extra upkeep, then DO IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fried green tomatoes-oh yeah one of my favorites.
    Never too old for long hair. Happy Belated Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Almost West Virginia too. My sis lives there 500 miles away from me and I have tears in my eyes each time I hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does it tell you which books? You should just check them out of the library (one at a time) and read them :) Then you will know more about the Vietnam war without having to spend all the money. I just cut my hair off a few months ago (although it was not waits length!) and I LOVE it! I donated the cut off part to locks of love...

    ReplyDelete
  8. hard to know about the hair. mine's getting long-ish - and I wanted to cut it but my hairdresser said just put it up when it is hot and don't cut it ... until you are SURE you want to !

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wear my hair long too. My grandmother did too- up until the day she died and she was 93. If you like it, keep it. If you need a change, cut it and donate it! Just be careful to whom you donate it. I've heard that a couple of places charge the cancer patients for the wigs. I don't like that. They have enough medical bills, seems like they could get the wigs for free. DoodleBug and I were just talking about the books for her classes. There was one class last semester that required them to buy 7 books other than their text. One of them was written by the professor and cost $139...and was less than 1 inch thick. Someone's getting rich and it isn't me. LOL

    ReplyDelete