Thursday, August 30, 2012

Pondering With a Purpose

Thursday again! Time to do a little "pondering" with Brenda from Fiction With a Purpose.


Her rules are really easy:

1. Grab the Pondering with a Purpose Badge (in her sidebar)
2. Look at the week's prompt
3. Post something on your blog that relates to the prompt - it can be a story, a poem, a picture -- anything you want it to be.
4. Go back here and add the URL from your post to the linky list on Brenda's.
5. Go check out the other bloggers who have added their links to the list.
6. AND most of all.... Have fun!

This Week's prompt:   Talented?

Let's see. What talent do I have that my kids do not. Actually, quite a few I think. First off, the ability to write - and I blame the school systems for that. I always had to go over every paper that either of the kids wrote and "fix" it. I don't think the schools teach kids how to write anymore. I was taught that when it comes to papers, there are 3 steps: introduction, body, and the conclusion. I tried to tell them - over and over - that it's really easy. All you have to do is: tell them what you're going to tell them, tell them, and then tell them what you told them. Simple, but I always ended up doing a lot of editing.

I learned how to sew when I was a child but despite my efforts to show my daughter, she struggles and usually ends up at my house with project in hand.

I've crocheted for years and have taught daughter the basics. She has even completed a few projects on her own but I still have to "translate" patterns for her. 

Excel! I love Excel and can do anything you want done in it. Daughter HATES the program. I end up setting up anything she wants done (checkbook registers, budgets, amortization tables....). 

Canning - this is the next thing I am going to try and teach daughter to do. She wants "a canner  and extensive canning lessons" for Christmas. Should be interesting.

As far as the son goes, lets see. He has no interest in canning or sewing so I can't claim that over him. He's also a pretty good cook and he IRONS (I hate ironing). Maybe that comes from being in the service?  He's not very good with Excel and he can't type very fast, that's two. Actually three - he's not good with writing either as I stated in the first paragraph!

6 comments:

  1. I completely forgot about writing... and my daughter has no desire to sew either, but she did at one point want me to teach her to crochet... perhaps when she gets a bit older?

    Thanks for pondering with me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please tell your son, "Thank you for serving!" I enjoyed "Pondering with a Purpose"...what a great title!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a fabulous post. A very nice read indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My children may be intimidated by my skills, maybe that is why they let mom do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. my youngest step brother has a college degree, makes more money than me....and is practically illiterate. receiving an email from him is a grammatical disgrace. I still proof-read anything he writes before he hands it in. unbelieveable.
    but he knows computers...he just knows them. also unbelieveable.

    ReplyDelete