Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Hodgepodge

Welcome back to the Wednesday Hodgepodge! Be sure to add your link to the bottom of Joyce's post and then go visit the neighbors. After all, that's part of the fun! 


1. In an effort to combat obesity, the mayor of NYC has plans to ban the sale of large sugary drinks (anything over 16 oz.), initially in restaurants, movie theatres, and street carts. Corner stores would also be affected if they are defined as food service establishments. You can read more here . Your thoughts?I don't think that it's up to the government to tell us what to eat or drink. It's true that people make bad choices when it comes to food (especially fast food) but it's our right to make those choices.

2. Art festival, music festival, food festival...which would you most like to attend?Music festival.

3. What are you irrational about?Probably lots of things but I really can't think of any right now.

4. Do you feel confident you'll have a comfortable retirement?I feel confident that I'll probably never be able to retire. Really, the state of Illinois is probably one of the worst there is as far as retirement goes - and I work for the state!

5. What's been your favorite Olympic moment so far?
(Not ever, just in the 2012 Summer games)  I can honestly say that I haven't watched ANY event so far.

6. What would you label as the messiest room in your house?Usually the computer room - things tend to get piled in there.

7. Do you follow your heart or your head? A little bit of both.

8. Insert your own random thought here.I've been doing a lot of canning lately. Last night it was tomatoes and I had one jar that didn't seal. I haven't had that happen in a very long time! Guess I'll be making chicken cacciatore tonight.

5 comments:

  1. Certainly retiring FROM the State of Illinois is the worst! And I know ... I'm a State of Illinois retiree. The straw that broke the camel's back for me is their rescinding of the health insurance that had been part of the retirement package for years. I made sure that I worked until I had the 20 years of service to qualify for the health insurance ... I even had to buy a couple of years of service to make that happen so I could retire when I did (at age 58). I'm still 3 1/2 years from being eligible for Medicare ... and now I'm going have to pay $$ for my health insurance. I couldn't believe they would take away a benefit that was in place when I retired ... one that was a huge component of if/when I retired! Can you tell I'm still furious about that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never canned anything..I'm probably a little irrational in my fear of a canner and giving us food poisoning : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Plans fo9r supper as a trade off for a seal that didn't take isn't bad! I haven't canned in years, but I'm going peach-picking with my dad and nieces today, so maybe I'll do a batch of peach butter, YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was very lucky that my husband retired from the federal civil service and not the state. Illinois is no man's land now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been canning a little too. I put up 7 quarts of spaghetti sauce. This is my first year doing this so I hope everything will be fine. It is a lot of fun- just time consuming. Now I want spaghetti for dinner. LOL

    ReplyDelete